A Jumbo loan is a non-conforming conventional mortgage loan. It does not meet Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae guidelines and conforming loan limit of $417,000 for a single-family home. Jumbo loans are available for primary homes, vacation homes, and investment properties. They are available as adjustable rate and fixed rate loans. The average rate of interest on these loans is higher interest backed by stricter underwriting and large down payment requirements, typically because of the high risk involved.
Perks of Jumbo Loans
Though a jumbo loan requires a high down payment, high credit score and reserves, the perks of getting this loan are also jumbo. Benefits include:
- It does not have any private insurance requirement- sparing you from arranging private insurance
- Tax benefits are amazing- Interest on loans up to $1 million are is tax deductible
- Jumbo loan refinancing can yield huge savings
At Greentree Mortgage, we offer both jumbo fixed-rate and adjustable-rate mortgages:
The borrower’s monthly payments under the fixed rate jumbo loan remain consistent throughout the length of the loan term which can be 10, 15, 20 or 30 years.
With an adjustable rate mortgage, the rate of interest and monthly payments are adjusted according to the market movements after the introductory period, which can be 5, 7, or 10 years. The rate is usually adjusted every 6 months.
Qualification Requirement of a Jumbo Loan
The underwriting and qualifying requirements for a jumbo loan are quite different from conforming mortgages. To qualify for a jumbo loan, the borrower’s:
- Credit score should be above 700
- The maximum debt to income ratio should be 45 percent
- Bank statement showing at least 6 months worth of reserves
- Reserve amount should be at least 20 percent of the loan
- 20% loan amount payments
- Property appraisal- The appraisal should support the purchase price for both the home & mortgage the borrower wants
Jumbo loan is an excellent choice for those looking to buy a luxurious higher priced home in posh area. For more information and advice get in touch with us today! Our mortgage consultants can help you determine whether or not a jumbo loan is a suitable for you and help you choose between a fixed rate and adjustable rate mortgage loan. We can also assist you with paperwork for jumbo loan application submission and get loan approval which otherwise can be stressful and a time-consuming process.